26 December 2012

National Geographic : Photo of the Day: Best of January 2012




 
Infinty Pool, Singapore
Photograph by Chia Ming Chien
The vertiginous "infinity pool" at the Marina Bay Sands resort offers a sweeping view of Singapore, a country that's achieved success while building up instead of out.



 Horses, Iceland
Photograph by Marketa Kalvachova,
Icelandic horses are out all year, even through the winter. I captured these in-foal mares in southern Iceland in December 2011.



 
 Asiago Plateau, Italy
Photograph by Vittorio Poli,
The small town where I live (Asiago plateau, Italy) is shrouded in fog in this image taken from the top of a mountain.



  Submerged Plane, Bahamas
Photograph by Bjorn Moerman,
While island hopping around the Bahamas in a Cessna C172 aircraft, I made this aerial of a Curtiss C-46 that ditched on November 15, 1980. It crashed while it was on a drug smuggling mission for the Colombian Medellín drug cartel and lies in shallow water east of the Norman's Cay airport in the Exumas, Bahamas. My preflight Internet research paid off!


  Rainbow, Lake Champlain
Photograph by Alan Nyiri,
This image was made on the afternoon of October 20, 2011, just before sunset, near Lake Champlain in Vermont.



  Silica Pond, Iceland
Photograph by David Remacle,
One of the highlights of the interior of Iceland: a hot-water pond, charged with silica, glowing in the middle of nowhere.



  Tuscany, Italy
Photograph by Jure Kravanja,
When I was driving last year through Tuscany, Italy, I suddenly saw this beautiful image.



 
Floating Lanterns, Thailand
Photograph by Patrice Carlton,
I had planned a recent trip to Thailand in November to coincide with the Loy Krathong celebration because I had seen pictures of the floating lanterns being launched into the sky. However, nothing I had seen prepared me for the incredible magic of experiencing thousands of these lanterns floating into the night sky at once while monks chanted at the Lanna Meditation Center in Chiang Mai. It was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had.



  Iguazu Falls
Photograph by Chris Schmid,
Aerial view of Iguazu Falls, Brazil-Argentina border



 
Riverbank, Belgrade
Photograph by David Konecny,
Overhead snapshot of the Belgrade riverbank—summer love, I guess!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger news